All FAQs and comparing of travel insurance

  1. Covid-19?

    Will my medical costs be covered if I am diagnosed with Covid-19 during my journey? 

    Yes, all Travel Insuranz plans under Section 2 (Medical Expenses and Assistance) provide cover for medical expenses resulting from an Epidemic or Pandemic. In the event you are medically diagnosed with Covid-19 whilst on your journey we will pay for the costs associated with emergency medical, surgical and hospital treatment, transportation and if necessary the cost of repatriation.

    If I am diagnosed with Covid-19 whilst on my journey, can I claim for quarantine or additional travel expenses? 

    Yes, all Travel Insuranz plans under Section 2 (Medical Expenses and Assistance) extend to cover your additional travel and accommodation expenses (to a level comparable with your pre-booked travel and accommodation) to enable you to return home if you are unable to continue your trip as originally planned.

    What if my travelling companion is diagnosed with Covid-19 whilst on our journey? Will my quarantine and additional travel costs be covered? 

    No, you would need to be medically diagnosed with Covid-19 in order for you to be eligible to claim for these costs. However, in the event you are travelling with a dependant who is diagnosed with Covid-19, we will pay the additional travel and accommodation costs (to a level comparable with your pre-booked travel and accommodation) for one companion to stay and accompany them home.

    What if I (or my travelling companion) am diagnosed with Covid-19 before I/we commence our journey? 

    Our policies do not extend to cover claims arising from pre-trip cancellation in relation to Covid-19. You should contact your airline and/or your accommodation provider (alternatively your travel agent or trip organiser) as you may be eligible for a refund or credit towards future travel.

    Why does your Product Disclosure Statement not specifically refer to Covid-19? 

    In March 2020, The World Health Organisation declared the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak a global Pandemic. As such, Covid-19 falls within the definition of Pandemic in our Product Disclosure Statement.

    Will Travel Insuranz cover me if I am not vaccinated? 

    Yes, we do not require you to be vaccinated to obtain insurance cover with us. You will however need to check vaccination entry requirements of the countries you are visiting and the airlines you will be travelling with. Our policies will not respond to a claim where you fail to comply with any government regulation or act.

    I need confirmation that I have Covid-19 medical cover in order to enter a country I am visiting; will this be on my documentation? 

    Yes, on policy purchase you will receive your Certificate of Insurance. This will clearly state that your policy includes overseas medical expenses cover. You will need to carry this with you on your journey and show the appropriate authorities when requested.

    Please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for full terms and conditions

  2. Epidemic and Pandemics

    Over the last few years there have been some serious pandemics affecting travelers. These include Bird Flu, SARS, Ebola and now COVID-19. Travel Insuranz provides Unlimited Overseas Medical Expenses resulting from an epidemic or pandemic. This extends to include emergency medical, surgical and hospital treatment, transportation and the cost of repatriation. It is important to note the disease must be contracted whilst on your journey and cover does not extend to your normal country of residence or where reciprocal health agreements are accessible. Please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for full terms and conditions.

  3. Is there a Money Back Guarantee?

    We are so confident that you will be satisfied with our travel insurance, that we even offer a 100% Money-Back Guarantee. If, having purchased the policy, you want to cancel it, you can do so within 14 business days and obtain a full refund, provided you have not made a claim and your trip has not commenced.There are no refunds available after the initial cooling off period.

  4. Cruises?

    All Travel Insuranz travel insurance policies automatically include cover for cruises. Travellers on domestic cruises within Australian waters should select their area of travel as 'Australia (Cruise)' to ensure that cover is available for emergency medical assistance and expenses.


  5. Do you cover skiing and snowboarding?

    If you are planning to ski or snowboard whilst you’re travelling simply enter the dates when you will be taking part when you get a travel insurance quote. This will ensure that you are covered for any medical expenses whilst skiing or snowboarding. The annual multi-trip travel insurance gives up to 23 days ski and snowboarding cover automatically free of charge.

    If you don’t know the dates when you’ll be skiing or snowboarding at the time of taking out the insurance, drop us an email when you have the details and we will arrange with you to add cover.

  6. Do you cover motorcycling?

    You are covered, subject to the policy terms and conditions, if you are in control of a Motorcycle and have a current Australian motorcycle licence, or you are a passenger travelling on a Motorcycle that is in the control of a person who holds a current motorcycle licence valid for the country you are travelling in.

    You are also covered if you are in control of a Moped or Scooter and have a current Australian motorcycle or drivers licence, or you are a passenger travelling on a Moped or Scooter that is in the control of a person who holds a current motorcycle or drivers licence valid for the country you are travelling in.

  7. What cover is there for terrorism?

    You are covered, subject to the policy terms and conditions, to travel anywhere that the Australian government does not have a specific "do not travel" advice. So, for example, if you were a victim of a terrorist act you would be covered for medical expenses etc.

    If the government advice was to change to "do not travel" from a lesser advice, such as 'high degree of caution' or 'reconsider need to travel' then subject to the policy terms and conditions, the Travel Insuranz policy would give you the option to cancel before travel if the advice did change. For the latest government advice, please visit

  8. Do you cover pre-existing medical conditions?

    Travel Insuranz covers a range of pre-existing medical conditions at no extra cost to the traveller. In order to obtain pre-existing medical cover, you need to enter your details online, answer some simple questions about your medical history and your medical conditions.

    You will know immediately if cover has been extended to include your pre-existing medical conditions or if we are unable to offer cover. Sometimes you may be asked to pay an additional premium for the cover provided. 

  9. How much does a travel insurance policy cost?

    When calculating the cost of your travel insurance, we take a number of factors into account, including:

    • how many travellers there are to be insured;
    • where you are travelling to;
    • how long you are travelling;
    • the level of cover you have chosen;
    • how old you are; and
    • if you have selected any additional cover such as winter sports.

    When you get your quote it will show the total price for all the travellers entered when obtaining the quote. You then need to select the level of cover that you want; enter your contact details and those to be insured. As soon as your credit card payment has been processed online, you will receive an email with your certificate.


  10. Who are the travel insurance Insurers?

    Travel Insuranz policies are issued by Chase Underwriting Pty Ltd and Underwritten by certain underwriters at Lloyd's providing global strength to give you peace of mind.  Lloyd’s is the world’s leading insurance and reinsurance marketplace. Through the collective intelligence and risk-sharing expertise of the market’s underwriters and brokers, Lloyd’s helps to create a braver world.

  11. Who Can Buy This Insurance?

    This travel insurance is available for those people domiciled in Australia or non-domiciled residents who have been resident for a period of not less than 3 months at the date of purchase. So, if for example, you are on a 457 visa and you have lived in Australia for at least the past 3 months, then you can take out a policy with Travel Insuranz. This insurance is only available for people aged 70 or under at the time of buying the policy.

    If you are an Australian resident already overseas and you forgot to take out insurance before you left or your existing policy has run out or is due to expire then you can take out a policy with us from overseas. The policy end date must be the date that you plan to return to Australia. Please note that there is no cover for the first 48 hours from the policy start date.

  12. What do I get when I have bought a policy?

    Immediately after your payment has been processed, a Certificate of Insurance with a link to the Product Disclosure Statement will be issued and sent to your email address.

    Please check your Junk and Spam E-mail folders just in case the confirmation email got delivered there instead of your inbox. If so, select the confirmation message and click Not Junk, which will allow future messages to get through.


  13. Can we arrange travel insurance for our school or club group?

    Travel Insuranz is one of the few online companies that allow group bookings. The person purchasing an insurance policy on behalf of a group must ensure that every person to be insured has been advised to read this PDS/Policy Wording and their attention drawn to the policy exclusions and conditions. The person purchasing the policy is required to answer all questions on behalf of all persons to be insured to the best of their knowledge and belief and should undertake all reasonable steps to obtain the required information in respect of each and every person to be insured.

  14. How do I amend a policy?

    Need to make a change? – simply sign into your account 24/7 and in addition to viewing your policies and quotes you'll be able to do the following:

    Before your travel has started you can:

    Change an age / a name / an email address

    Extend policy end date

    Add / amend snow sports cover

    Upgrade your plan

    Change your area of travel


    After your travel has started you can:

    Extend the policy end date (up to 12 months in total)

    Add / amend snow sports cover (2 day waiting period)

    Not in the list? For all other queries or changes, please click here

  15. Schengen Visa?

    All of our policies exceed the Schengen requirement as the amount of cover under the medical expenses section is unlimited. Medical repatriation back to Australia (if deemed medically necessary) and returning your remains to your home or a funeral in the country where you died is also included. For full details, please refer to section 2 ‘Overseas Medical Expenses’ on page 6 of the product disclosure statement.

  16. Does your travel insurance cover working overseas?

    Travel Insuranz automatically covers you for non‐manual, non‐hazardous work overseas, such as working in a bar or an office.
    There is no cover for claims connected with you engaging in manual work in conjunction with any profession, business or trade during your trip. Manual work includes: the use of plant, machinery, power tools; or work in the building trades, security, professional sports, emergency services, extracting, manufacturing, forestry, or any work at a height greater than two metres or working at sea or as aircrew.

    There is no cover for Personal Liability whilst working as this would normally be arranged by your Employer. If you are unsure as to what would be considered non-manual, non hazardous work, please email us.

  17. What sports and adventure activities do you cover?

    We provide cover for your amateur participation in a wide range of sports and leisure activities. To view a list of sports and activities that are automatically please click on the following link – sports and activities travel insurance.

    Please note that there is no cover for your participation as a professional sportsman or participation in any form of competition unless agreed in advance. 

  18. Travelling one way or don't know when you will be back?

    For policies purchased in Australia:

    Unlike most other Insurers, we let you take out a policy even if you don't have a return ticket or you don't intend to return to Australia.

    We define one way travel as any trip which there is no expected date of return to Australia and/ or there is no return ticket booked. When obtaining a quote, you will be required to nominate your final destination, which will be used as the destination for any medical repatriation or curtailment. In respect of one way travel, cover ceases on the nominated expiry date shown on your certificate of insurance. 

    Already overseas?

    If you are an Australian resident and presently overseas and you looking to take out a travel insurance policy with us, the policy end date must be the date that you intend to return to Australia. Therefore, the option to extend is not available.

  19. Can I extend my travel insurance from overseas?

    For policies purchased while in Australia:

    Sometimes you decide that you want to stay overseas longer than you had originally planned when you bought your travel insurance. Please contact to enquire about a new policy. If you are going to be away for more than a year you would need to take out a new policy. The maximum duration that we can insure anyone travelling to the USA is 364 days.

    For policies purchased overseas: 

    Our insurance is appropriate if you are an Australian resident and are overseas intending to return to Australia on the date your policy ends. Therefore, the option to extend is not available.

  20. How can I pay for my travel insurance?

    Buying your policy online using Visa, Mastercard or American Express is simple, secure and guarantees you at least a 20% discount on our normal over-the-phone selling prices. There are no credit card charges. If your premium is $500 or more we can normally arrange a bank transfer if required. Please click here to send us an email request.

  21. What dates should I enter when getting a quote?

    For Standard Travel Insurance:

    Your policy start date is the date that you leave your home in Australia. You will be covered under the cancellation section of your travel insurance from the moment you buy your policy until the date you leave Australia.

    The end date is the date that you arrive back to your home in Australia or your nominated expiry date whichever is the sooner.

    For Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance:

    The start date is the date that you want to be insured from. If you already have a trip booked and you want to be covered under the cancellation section for this then you should enter today's date. The overall period of insurance is 12 months. This insurance then covers an unlimited number of business/leisure trips starting within that period, provided that no single trip is longer than the maximum duration that you have selected. Snow sports are covered up to 23 days in total.

    Trips wholly within Australia are insured if they include at least one overnight stay and a minimum distance of 250kms from your place of residence.

    The Deluxe policy allows each insured person named on the certificate to be covered if they travel independently of other named Insured Persons.

  22. What is an excess?

    An excess is the first amount payable in the event of a loss and so is the uninsured portion of your loss. This excess helps to prevent minor claims and it also deters fraudulent claims. It therefore helps to keep our premiums as low as possible.


  23. Does your policy include Medical Evacuation?

    Absolutely! If it is deemed medically necessary by our assistance providers and you are fit to travel, our emergency service would arrange for you to be returned to Australia.

  24. What are your policy terms and conditions?

    We strongly recommend that you read our Product Disclosure Statement carefully before you buy your policy as this tells you what you are covered for. It also tells you what to do in the event of a medical emergency and how to make a claim. To view our PDS, please click here.

  25. What if I am already Travelling Overseas and need insurance?

    If you are an Australian resident already overseas and you forgot to take out insurance before you left or your existing policy has run out or is due to expire then you can take out a policy with us from overseas. The policy end date should be the date that you plan to return to Australia. Please note that there is no cover for the first 48 hours from the policy start date.

  26. Am I covered to drive a car?

    Yes, subject to you having an appropriate licence, although you will not be covered under the Personal Liability section for driving. This cover should be provided by the car owner or rental company.

  27. I am going away for a year, but will return home briefly in the middle of my trip. Is the cover continuous?

    If you take a standard policy with us for a 12 month period, the answer is yes, however, there is no cover whilst you are back home in Australia.

  28. Are unused periods of insurance refundable, if I return home early?

    No, in a nutshell. If in doubt, it is better to take a shorter period of cover and extend later, if required.

  29. Am I covered if I miss my flight because of a traffic jam on the motorway?

    Yes, if there has been a road traffic accident or vehicle breakdown delaying the vehicle in which you are travelling.

  30. Am I covered if my flight is delayed and I miss a connection because of the delay?

    Yes, for necessary additional accommodation and travel expenses up to the policy limit, provided you have left sufficient time between the two flights, i.e. planned to arrive at your departure point at the earliest scheduled check-in time.

  31. What should I do with my belongings if I’ve gone to the beach and want to have a swim?

    You should not leave any money or valuables unattended at any time. If necessary, ask someone you know to look after your belongings.

  32. Am I covered if I accidentally cause damage in the hotel I'm staying in?

    Yes, up to the policy limit (Personal Liability section), but subject to the excess (see Product Disclosure Statement).

  33. Am I covered for cancellation if one of my relatives is taken ill?

    Yes, subject to the policy terms and conditions relating to the health of travelling companions and others on whom the journey may depend. The insurance will pay your cancellation costs if your relative is taken ill or dies before you are due to go away necessitating you to cancel the trip. A relative means any of the following who is under 85 years and is resident in Australia or New Zealand: husband or wife (or de facto partner with whom you are living permanently at the same address), parent, grandparent, parent-in-law, brother, sister, son, daughter, step-parent, step-son, step-daughter, grandchild, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law or fiancé(e) .

  34. If I have to return home for an insured reason, will the insurance compensate me for my lost holiday?

    Curtailment means cutting your planned journey short by early return to Australia or admission to hospital overseas as an in-patient so that you lose the benefit of the accommodation you have paid for. The insurance will pay on the basis of the number of complete nights accommodation lost. In respect of travel expenses, the insurance will pay for any additional costs, but not for the loss of pre-booked arrangements.

  35. Is there a medical emergency service?

    Our 24 / 7 Medical Emergency Helpline is provided by one of the world’s leading travel insurance assistance companies. Full contact details are shown in your travel insurance certificate which is sent to you after you have bought a policy.

  36. Is there a claims guarantee?

    Yes. Valid, fully documented claims will be paid within just 10 working days.

  37. Are my credit card details safe?

    Travel Insuranz uses industry standard 128 bit SSL (Secure Socket Layers) to encrypt data transferred between your browser and our server. Regarded as bank level encryption, 128 bit is the strongest level of encryption supported by standard web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari. Customer credit card details are processed by eWAY together with Commonwealth Bank and are not stored on our servers at any time. There is no risk of credit card details being viewed or used by third parties.

  38. Should I buy annual multi-trip travel insurance or standard travel insurance? How can I compare travel insurance?

    Our annual travel insurance cover, which is often referred to as annual multi-trip travel insurance and standard travel insurance cover is very similar. Annual travel insurance will probably cost you less if you are likely to be going on more than two or three trips a year, compared to standard travel insurance which you buy each time you travel. Annual travel insurance also saves you time and means you don’t have to worry about forgetting to take out travel insurance if you go away frequently.

  39. Does annual travel insurance cover trips within Australia?

    Our annual travel insurance covers trips wholly within Australia if they include at least one overnight stay and a minimum distance of 250kms from your place of residence.

  40. Is there a limit on the number of days I can be overseas when buying annual travel insurance?

    All annual travel insurance policies limit the number of days you can spend overseas on any one trip or holiday. With Travel Insuranz, the maximum is 93 days any one trip. Unlike many other annual travel insurance policies, we do not restrict the total number of days you can spend on holiday abroad during the year, so you are free to travel as many times in the year as you wish.

  41. Under the annual insurance, can my children or partner travel on their own?

    Yes, if you take the Deluxe cover option.

  42. Can I buy 24 months cover for my visa?

    The maximum duration of one policy is 12 months. You cannot buy two consecutive 12 month policies to give you 24 months cover. Therefore, this insurance is not appropriate if you are looking to buy cover for a 2 year visa where you are asked to demonstrate that you have insurance in place for the full duration of your visa.

Get A Quick Quote

Loading Quote

Hang in there, we're just loading up your quote!

Great value travel insurance. Get A Quote Now