Travelling out of a backpack or suitcase is one of the most exciting and uninhibited ways of seeing the world, giving you the freedom to fully experience local cultures and mix with the day-to-day life. But this sort of travelling is also one of the most risky, as you’re often not staying in known tourist hubs, generally have a lower budget and are storing all your valuables in one place. This makes backpacker travel insurance absolutely vital.
At Travel Insuranz we offer a range of tailored insurance options for the adventurous or ambitious backpacker. You need to ensure you’ll be covered for the essentials – your health and your belongings – so that if something unexpected were to happen you would be fully protected. Our cheap travel insurance policies include:
- Cover for short or long trips, with the freedom and ease of buying and extending your policy from overseas
- One-way travel options, if you don’t have a return date in mind
- Immediate cover as soon as you purchase your plan
- 24/7 medical assistance from anywhere in the world
- Cover for a huge range of sports and activities, including high-risk activities
- Options for working holidays and volunteering overseas
- Variable levels of cover for your belongings and valuables
- And more!
You can find more information about our travel insurance policies and what we cover further below. Our quality backpacker travel insurance plans are comprehensive and much more affordable than you might think – enter your travel details and get a quote today!
You don’t want to be travelling the world with all the potential risks weighing at the back of your mind. So invest in your security with the best travel insurance, and make the most of every day away.
What You'll Be Covered For
Our backpackers travel insurance policies cover a large range of situations that you could encounter on your trip, so that you’re not left out of pocket in an emergency. We'll provide the support and financial assistance you’ll need, so you can rest in the knowledge that your security, health and valuables are in the best hands possible.
We offer a selection of cover levels so that you can easily customise your plan to suit your travel plans and budget. The things we cover include:
Medical expenses and emergenciesA:
Anywhere in the world, with a team of medical professionals on hand 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to help find you quality care.
Our insurance policies will cover not only your medical, hospital and dental expenses, but also the cost of evacuating you to a more appropriate medical facility if required as well as the cost of bringing a family member or friend to be with you.
Travel delays and flight cancellationsA:
So you can still get to your destination on a later flight without drastically affecting your travel plans.
We also cover your hotel or accommodation costs if your next flight isn’t till the next day.
Your valuables and personal belongingsA:
If they are lost, damaged or stolen. This includes your phone, camera, laptop and other gadgets, as well as your personal money, Passport, Visas and travel tickets.
You can tailor your level of valuables cover depending on how much you are taking with you on your trip.
Sports and recreational activitiesA:
Including many high-risk activities such as bungee jumping and riding scooters and motorbikes.
So if you are injured as a result of taking part in any of these activities, your medical and hospital expenses will automatically be covered.
Working holidays and volunteering overseasA:
For non-manual, non-hazardous jobs such as teaching, bar and restaurant work, office work, or even fruit picking!
Combining work and travel is the ultimate overseas experience, and now you can enjoy every minute knowing you’ll always be protected if something goes wrong.
Catastrophes and terrorismA:
In any overseas country that is not listed by the Australian Government as a ‘do not travel’ area.
Your medical, travel and accommodation expenses will be covered if you are involved in any natural disaster, terrorist attack, epidemic or pandemic, civil unrest or rebellion while travelling.
And much more!A:
We also cover a range of other situations which you can tailor to your individual needs and backpacking travel plans.
These things include curtailment, personal liability, accidental death and permanent disablement, withdrawal of services, special events, legal advice and expenses, travel carrier insolvency and more.
Why You Need Backpacker Travel Insurance from Travel Insuranz
A lot of backpackers think travel insurance is an unnecessary extra cost, and something they can do without. But when you’re forging your own path, you are susceptible to some of the highest risks. You are certainly lucky if you don’t ever need it, but in the event of an emergency in an unfamiliar country, the financial assistance and protection that travel insurance provides is incomparable.
As well as covering a large range of situations, Travel Insuranz policies also provide a number of additional benefits:
- Flexible policy lengths: Because of the nature of backpacking, we know you won’t always have a set plan for the length of your holiday or when you’ll be returning home. That’s why we offer a range of flexible policies that can cover both short and long trips, with one-way options if you don’t yet have a return date.
You also have the ease of buying and extending your plan from overseas. So if your trip was spontaneous and you forgot to take out cover before you left, or you’ve decided to extend it for longer than you initially expected, then you can organise and amend your policy from wherever you are, at no extra cost!
- Instant cover: At Travel Insuranz, you can purchase insurance today for travel today! You are immediately covered once you buy your plan, and we’ll email all the confirmation details and information you need right away. So if your travel planning was a bit rushed or unexpected, you can still arrange quality and cheap travel insurance without a hassle.
- Cover for multiple destinations: We cover every country and continent, so no matter where you’re going, you’ll have the protection you need.
- Fast and easy Claims process: Our Claims process is designed to be as quick and convenient as possible. You can submit a claim at any time, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, and we are proud to guarantee that all valid and fully documented claims will be paid within 10 business days, directly to your bank account.
Please view our Claims page for full details about how to submit a backpacker travel insurance Claim.
Backpacker Travel Tips
The most important thing you can do when backpacking overseas is take out backpackers travel insurance that you can depend on to protect you if something goes wrong. At Travel Insuranz we are dedicated to providing a wide range of flexible policy options so that you can travel with ease, no matter where your trip takes you.
Once you’ve got that covered, there are a number of other steps you should take while you’re travelling to protect yourself, your health and your belongings. Here’s what you need to remember:
- Get your vaccinations early. Some may need to be given over the course of several weeks, and some may have after-effects which you’ll want to get over before you leave. Make sure you tell your doctor every destination you are planning on visiting, so they can administer all the correct vaccinations as well as prescribe any specific medications you will need, such as anti-malarial tablets.
- Make copies of your important paperwork, such as your travel insurance policy, Passport and other travel documents, and keep them on you while you’re travelling in case something is lost, stolen or damaged. It will make replacing them much easier.
- Make a note of emergency contact numbers, such as the Australian Embassy in every country you visit, local emergency service numbers, and our 24 hour Medical Emergency Service helpline.
- Be smart with your spending money. Consider using an international travel money card, which is a safer way to carry large amounts of money overseas, and splitting your money between 2 or 3 cards in case one is lost or stolen. It’s also a good idea to organise some local currency before you arrive at every destination, in case of unexpected expenses that may come up before you have a chance to convert the rest of your money.
- Leave your valuables in a secure safe wherever possible, and keep your luggage locked whenever you are not carrying it with you. If you’re sharing a room with other people you don’t know, you may want to padlock your luggage to your bed when you’re not around.